Center Grove Presbyterian Church (CGPC), began in the fall of 1981 as a home Bible study and a mission church. In 1983, it was received into the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). Rev. Anthony J. Casoria served as senior pastor from March 1988- May 2015. In April 1994, CGPC moved into its first building on Center Grove Road. Sixteen weeks later, the building was struck by lightning during an evening thunderstorm and burned to the ground. In April 1996, the church moved into its rebuilt home on the same site. By God’s grace, the Lord continues to bless Center Grove with spiritual and numerical growth. In June 2004, additional facilities including 11 classrooms, a kitchen, and a Family Life Center were added on. Vacation Bible School became the first ministry held in the newly-expanded facility.
Pastor Wes James accepted the call to serve as our Senior Pastor in November 2015. Pastor Ryan Diehl began serving the Youth and Young Adults of the church in 2020.
We believe the Lord has strategically positioned Center Grove in Edwardsville – a university town in the St. Louis metropolitan area- to reach the community for Christ. Soli Deo Gloria!
As a Christian Church we believe that:
- Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are God-breathed, inerrant in the original writings, and the supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- there is one God who eternally exists in three Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, and that He is true God and true man.
- man was created in the image of God; that he sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature.
- the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice and that all who believe in Him are justified by His shed blood.
- in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, His ascension into heaven, and His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate.
- in the “blessed hope”; the personal and victorious return of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- all who are born again of the Holy Spirit, and repent and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, become children of God.
- in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
- That God is sovereign and rules over all things in heaven and on earth.
As a Reformed Church:
- That God is sovereign and rules over all things in heaven and on earth
- The Bible is truly the word of God and therefore our rule for all matters pertaining to faith and life.
- Salvation is by God’s grace alone, through faith alone, and in Christ alone.
- The Holy Spirit brings us into a living union with Christ through the power of the gospel.
- The Sacrament of Baptism is for believers and their children according to God’s covenant promises.
- The Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper is for professing believers who are in good standing with a gospel believing church.
As a Presbyterian Church:
- We believe the bible teaches that qualified men are called by God to serve as officers (Elders and Deacons) to lead and govern over Jesus’ church in submission to the Lord Jesus Christ as the Head of His church.
- We believe the Westminster Confession of Faith and its catechisms are the best summaries of the teachings of the bible.
Steps to Life: https://evangelismexplosion.org/resources/steps-to-life/